Information for students

What is the Randers Language Centre?

Randers Language Centre is a school where you can learn to speak, write, and read Danish. The people that come to the school are refugees and immigrants who plan on staying in Denmark. There are also people who use the facilities on a shorter basis, i.e., are here for work/education purposes.

Who can use the Randers Language Centre?

The school is for adults that can not speak or understand the Danish language well enough for everyday life, their work or education purposes in Denmark.

How are the classes set up?

Classes take place in groups. Students and teachers plan the lessons together, but it is the teacher's responsibility that the contents of the lessons are fulfilled as stated in the law.

Classes take place during weekdays. For people that work during the day, the school offers evening tuition.

To keep your place available at the school, your attendance should not fall below 85% of the time.

Is there more I should know about the classes?

Yes! The fundamental idea of the Danish school system is that the teacher is responsible for the professional quality of the tuition that is on offer, but it is the student's own responsibility to learn anything. This means that you should be active and use your own initiative in relationship to classes. You are also responsible for completing your homework regularly, as this is necessary to keep up with the class.

The Danish language and culture are, in reality, two sides of the same coin. That is why lessons take place in many different ways, each giving students a better command and understanding of the Danish language and culture. These alternate between tuition from the teacher, individual work, group work, and working in pairs with support from the teacher.

Day trips and guests are also a part of classes. Films, TV, magazines, newspapers, and music have also a place with the exercises/school books.

The aim of the school is for the students to understand and master the cultural codes that are essential to get on well in Denmark.

To have the use of correct Danish is not enough; you have to have an understanding of the Danish peoples' expectations and moral standards.

Do I have to pay?

No! However, you do have to buy your own paper, pencils and notebooks. The books needed for school, and the tuition for the lessons themselves, will be paid for by the Municipality.

Security deposit

A change of law per 1.7.2017 means that S-courseers (foreign workers, students, etc.) beginning Danish education for the first time after that date must pay a deposit of DKK 1,250 before the education starts.
Au pairs are exempted.

The deposit is refunded when you stop at the language school.

Participating payment

For students who are self-sufficient, ie Employees or students, from 1 July 2018 there is a participation fee of DKK 2000 per person. module to follow Danish education.

The language school will charge this payment after you have been to a visitation interview. You must pay before you can start the Danish education, and then every time you start a new module.

Pay and read more here.

How long will I go to school?

This depends on what it is you will do after leaving the school, and what is realistic for you. When you first start at school, a meeting is set up with one of the school guidance teachers. Together you map out a plan of which class and days that you shall attend. It is normal to attend school for 2-3 years. This varies from student to student.

Will I receive an exam certificate when I leave school?

The school recommends that before leaving you take an oral and written exam.

If you leave without taking an exam, you can receive a certificate showing attendance at the school.

What do I do if I would like to make an extra effort to learn Danish?

The school has an open learning centre. Here you can work alone or with an agreement/arrangement with your own teacher. You can also receive guidance on what you yourself can do, to improve your Danish on your own.

In the open learning centre there is a library, computers, TV, videos, files with exercises in grammar, dictionaries and a reading corner with magazines and newspapers.

Can I have tuition in anything else other than the Danish language?

The school offers supplementary tuition in mathematics, English, and the use of a computer. This kind of tuition is outside of the normal classes, therefore you should discuss it with your guidance teacher and your caseworker (sagsbehandler).

Furthermore can you participate in learning about the Danish job-market and can get help to look for work experience.

What is a normal school day like?

Lessons generally run for a prescribed block of time (45-50 minutes), then a short break, and another set of lessons. This is generally followed by a longer lunch break, and then the day is finished with one or two more lessons, depending on your particular schedule.

You can buy drinks/beverages in the school canteen.

Smoking is not allowed.

Mobile telephones have to be switched off whilst in class and in the open learning centre (Studiecenteret).

After classes are finished for the day, you are asked to set your chair on top of the table so that the room can be cleaned.

It is forbidden to carry a knife or any other kind of weapon in the school.

It is forbidden to drink alcohol or take any other kind of intoxicating substances at the school during class time.

Students who come to class under the influence or intoxicated will be expelled.

Is there anything else I should know?

There are many different people and cultures at the school.

We expect that students and teachers treat each other with respect for their differences.

We will not tolerate a single person or groups of people behaving offensively in relationship to other students' sex, race, religion or political convictions.

Everyone should feel safe and comfortable when coming to school.

Everyone should feel secure in expressing their opinion, whether it is in words or with their clothes.

The breaking of these rules will not be tolerated. In the instance there is talk of violence, the student in question will be expelled.

What do I do if I am sick or can not come to school for other reasons?

You should obviously not come to school if you are sick. If you have children below 15 years of age, you have the right to be at home the first day of your child's illness. (does not apply to insured unemployed, contact your union).

But you have to inform the school/caseworker when you are absent, whether it is you that is ill or your child. Further details relating to rules and regulations on how/who you should ring to can be found on the school homepage, or you can ask at the school office. You should think about the following: If you come under the integration law and have a temporary residence permit, then tuition in Danish is a part of the integration program that you are a part of.

You will find it difficult to receive a permanent residence permit if you have been absent too much. It is a requirement under the law that you come to classes for no less than 85% of the time.

If you receive cash benefits your caseworker (sagsbehandler) can reduce the amount of money you receive if he/she assesses that you have been absent from school without good grounds.

If you are in any doubt about the rules regarding absenteeism you can ask your caseworker (sagsbehandler).


Pr. On January 1, 2018, the government introduced rules on rock cards for some groups of students. The rules apply to others

  • workers
  • student
  • family reunions for workers or students
  • au pair
  • border commuters

Read more about the klippekort here.